[G4] Palm Again - Fixed and How

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 26 04:26:25 PST 2004

>There is nothing here that seems to relate to hot synch problems, but it
>causes me to wonder and speculate.  It seems the Palm software would not
>know what files to hot synch with and just prevents you from possibly
>synching with the wrong set.

I got it fixed, after a few VERY long sessions with Palm tecchies in
the Phillipines. They were pretty good. We basically went through
several uninstalls and reinstalls - eventually the install that worked
was one through OSX. (Originally I had installed it from OSX, uninstalled,
installed in OS9, then we uninstalled, searched for all Palm files,
deleted, reinstalled.)

Initially even this did not work. What worked was doing a hard reset
on the Palm, deleting all user files on there as well, then replacing
generic user folder on my desktop with my data, then hot syncing.

For this they charged me $12, which is sort of fair, considering
they spent three hours with me and I didn't do the service contract
thingy originally. Only sort of, because nothing in the upgrade info
said anything about deinstalling previous versions of Palm before
upgrading, or gave the sequence for troubleshooting that worked,
which I could have done on my own if given the information.

>From what Tech Support said, it is evidently necessary to
un-install all previous versions of Palm on your desktop before
upgrading, why don't they mention this in any of the directions?

A general question about de-installing: My impression has been
that most Mac programs do not require a de-install of the previous
software version, in fact the opposite - to upgrade the previous
version MUST be present. I am familiar with Photoshop, QuarkXpress,
Illustrator, Dreamweaver, etc.

Is de-installing more properly a Windows method? Or have I
just had a narrow experience?

Thanks for any input on this issue.

P.S.: There is an additional wrinkle: now there are two versions
of the Palm Desktop software, one in my OS9 apps folder and
another in my OSX apps folder. This doesn't seem right, but
things are working (can't argue with that!!!) the OS9 folder
doesn't have a copy of Hotsync Monitor, otherwise they
are pretty identical. I tried to trash one or the other of
these, but things didn't work without both folders present.
So I put both puppies back.

???

As things are working and I can use my Palm (yay!)
I suppose it's not an issue, except that I don't understand
it. Especially since I understand it wasn't working before
because there was more than one copy of the Palm
software on my hard drive.

BTW - one of the tecchies did suggest I partition my
hard drive - is this one of the reasons partitioning is
a good idea, to prevent issues of this sort? (No, no,
no, don't wanna do it!)

I suppose I am available to share my experiences with Palm
software to any Newbies who have trouble, now that I am
an "expert" (ha!)

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design
G4 733mHz (OS X.2/Classic) | Graphite iBook 333mHz (OS 9.0.2)
mailto:earthpigz at earthlink.net
http://www.downtoearthweb.com