[G4] Safari not launching

Daniel Brieck djbrieck at mac.com
Fri Mar 26 04:38:40 PST 2004

So, does Safari starts to launch(icon launching feedback in the dock),
or does it do nothing at all. Well regardless, find and remove
preferences files for safari. Go to the finder and do a search for
"Safari." Then delete Safari preference stuff. For example, from
looking at the results of my safari search (on OS 10.3.2) I find a lot
of stuff. But here is the stuff I would recommend moving to the trash.
Primarily, remove com.apple.Safari.plist from it current location it
should fix the problem you are having. If this does not fix the safari
launch problem, re-do the search again and remove more Safari related
items...

File Names and Locations

{Remove this file first "com.apple.Safari.plist" and try running
safari, before going and deleting all}
com.apple.Safari.plist  (your user folder aka "Home"   / Library /
Preferences)

---------------------------------

If removal of the above file does not solve the problem remove all of
following listed including the file above which may or may not
re-appear....

{{{ IMPORTANT NOTE
An important thing to remember is be careful of what you delete, the
files listed here should be safe to remove. If you see more safari
stuff on your search use common sense. A good rule of thumb is to not
delete stuff that is not originating from your home directory.

For Example, on my computer there is a file that is related to safari
but not in a important way, some kind of .pkg file, and its location
shows that it is a good example of something not to delete. {location
starts in the Hard Drive (root level)}.

There are also safari folders on my computer that are totally unrelated
to safari web browser. MS Office for os x has a Safari office theme,
that you don't want to delete.

So, again just be careful.....
}}}

Here are the other files that you should try to delete safely...

Safari [Folder]    (Home / Library / Safari) Note: that in this folder
your bookmarks file is stored, so you may want to keep that file so you
can replace it later....

Safari [Caches Folder] (Home / Library / Caches / Safari)

This should solve the problem, if not, I can provide some more
suggestions later....
Good-luck

Dan Brieck Jr.