[G4] Replicant

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Sat Mar 27 05:24:18 PST 2004

On Friday, Mar 26, 2004, at 20:41 Canada/Eastern, Kevin Willis wrote:

> [...] Replicant [...] claims you can make DVD copies that will play in
> a DVD player using a CD-burner and regular CD-R's.

Replicant converts to VCD or SVCD format. VCD quality is considerably
inferior to DVD; some regard it as similar to VHS tape quality.

> I was wondering if any one is familiar with this app. and what they
> can tell me about it. [...]

"Unfortunately Replicant software is NOT compatible with Macintosh
systems at this time" <http://www.replicantdvd.com/faq.asp>.

> I have "DVD-Backup" installed and have used it to rip a couple of
> DVD's.

Replicant is a legitimate piece of software, which does not attempt to
break copy protection algorithms. DVD-Backup isn't. Note that on Feb
20, 2004, a San Francisco judge ruled that software which breaks CSS
violates copyright law. Consult the list archives for further
discussion on this subject.