Fix for Image Spam?

barry sjmug at mac.com
Mon Mar 29 13:20:53 PST 2004

>Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:47:01 -0500
>From: Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net>

>>to refresh everyone's memory, i suggested opening her most spam prone email
>>accounts at http://www.mail2web.com , clean out the spam there, then
>>download mail via eudora as usual.

>I'm wondering how this is easier, because instead of just hitting "delete"
>in Eudora, I have to go online, go to a site, select email, delete over a slow
>dialup connection, etc. Am I missing something - ?

nope.  i never said it was easier.  in fact, it's a pain in the ass!  it's
just a possible solution to your problem.  it's an extra step to use
mail2web.com.  and 2 extra steps to use mail2web.com *plus* earthlink.net,
which i sometimes have to do in order to open attachments unopenable at
mail2web, or to see a forward of a forward of a forward of a forwarded
email's original message.  [why can't people copy & paste the original
message into a fresh email instead of forwarding forwards of forwards of
forwards?]

as far as slow dialup, switch to cable (faster) or dsl, if available in your
area, and if you can afford the $40-50/month.  you'll never go back to
dialup!

>>i just sent a note to anne off list about earthlink's webmail program and
>>its new free antispam and anti virus options.  any other earthlink users on
>>the list who are not familiar with these 2 features just hollar.

>I am signed up for these features. Perhaps it's helping but I still get
>a LOT of spam.

earthlink advertises that its spamBlocker gets most spam.  no way.  they
catch about 50% of my spam each day.  i have to go to their webmail website
to browse the spam folder to make sure no legit email was mistakenly
diverted to the spam folder (which may happen about once a week), and to
clean out their new virus quaranteen (sp?) folder.

>I have a strategy for the spam, actually, and that is to upgrade my
>Email software so I can filter some of it out. But the images are something
>I don't understand yet.

or get an anti-spam software package.  my mac user group buddies like
SpamFire, for both OS 9 & X.

--barry
http://www.NationwideCashFlowSolutions.com
alternative financing options for U.S.
businesses, professionals, individuals, & non-profit organizations