Farallon NIC Open Firmware

Anthony Yeo ayeo at ozemail.com.au
Sat May 1 05:48:02 PDT 2004

Hey All

I have a Farallon(now Proxim i think) PN 966L-TX Fast Ethernet PCI
card that i used in my 6500/300, working fine.

I have installed it into my G4 MDD 03 and upon booting I go straight
into Open Firmware, from where I can type in 'mac-boot' ands the
machine boots normally and works normally.

The error message given is BYTE_LOAD_FILE Failed.

The card is auto-detected by OS 10.2.8 and works flawlessly across my
network, so its not defective.  It does not report a model or brand
in ASP, but is communicating with my PB Ti.

I am unable to reset PRAM before hitting Open Firmware.

I remove the card and the machine boots normally.  I place it back in
and go back to Open Firmware on turning on.  I removed the other PCI
card in the machine, a Belkin USB2.0 card and removing it didn't fix
the problem.

Machine is stock standard, with 512RAM and has been fine for nearly 9 months.

Specs MDD03 1.25Ghz 512MB/80G 10.2.8 This is the non FW800 G4 that
boots into 9.2.2.

Any thoughts?

Any sites with more info on Open Firmware situations.

Thanks

Anthony