[G4] Adding HD capacity..

Jim Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Sat May 1 07:34:44 PDT 2004

A repeat - but...

I added a WD 200Gb SATA hard drive and Sonnet Tempo 2-channel SATA
controller to my G4/500.  The drive is very fast and very quiet.

The Tempo installed into my PCI slot in two seconds.  It comes with (1)
SATA data cable, so if you want to add more than one HD - buy another
one.  It supports up to (2) drives (hence 2 channel).

Card was $75 and drive was $150 on http://newegg.com - I have used them
a few times - always fast and never had a problem (got this order
shipped for $5 or and it got to Seattle in two days).

Installation - on my machine (already using 2x80Gb Maxtors) there are
two remaining drive bays. I just unscrewed the plates provided and
screwed down the drive.

One thing - I bought a legacy to SATA type power cable - the WD does
have the legacy power connection but the cable harnesses in my G4 were
too short to reach it so the converter cable ($2) gave me the extra
length I needed to connect it without starting to re-route cables.

I figure if the G4 eventually goes then maybe i will upgrade to G5 and
this way I will have the drive to drop right in :)