[G4] Swapping a DVD drive between Mac and PC

Daniel Brieck Jr. djbrieck at mac.com
Sat May 1 09:48:32 PDT 2004

What you need to do is plug it into the PC laptop? If it is running win
2000/ Xp it will probably work as soon as you plug it in? Now, plugging
it in is probably a problem because most PC's don't have the six pin
plug like the macs do. So, what you will need is a four-pin to six-pin
Firewire cable. Now, if you do connect the drive the PC, again it will
probably be able to recognize the drive and allow it to function. Keep
in mind that you might need additional software to burn a CD using
windows, but i think it might be built-in somewhere. If for some reason
that the drive does not work properly then you have to go through the
search for drivers. I would contact Lacie first, because they should
have Windows drivers for you mac drive, there is no such thing as a mac
only external optical drive nowadays... It is probably more difficult
to make them not work with macs.....

Dan Brieck Jr.