[G4] posting, please?

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Mon May 3 07:36:23 PDT 2004

On Monday, May 3, 2004, at 10:05 Canada/Eastern, rich northouse wrote:

> [...] I believe the limit is 120gb with the apple controller.
> Installing a second controller can remove that limit. You can also
> have a larger drive if you use firewire.  I installed a 160gb drive
> internally as a second drive and all I could see was 120gb.[...]

The issue is the same: whether or not the ATA controller is 48-bit LBA
capable. The controller is on Apple's logic board, on a PCI card, or in
the FireWire enclosure. Controllers of older Macs aren't, but I think
all current ones are (not sure, tho').

If the Mac's controller doesn't support 48-bit LBA, the largest hard
disk capacity which can be used is 120GiB (or 137GB). Larger hard disks
can be installed, but the Mac will not "see" more than that. The
solution is to get a new controller, either by installing a new ATA
card (SATA preferably), or by using an external enclosure which is
48-bit capable. Which alternative is best depends on specific needs.