[G4] Printing Problem (was:2 machines, 2 different problems)

Stefan Daehler gesar at tiscalinet.ch
Sat May 22 05:57:40 PDT 2004

Original Message:

> I suppose my real questions are (regardless of machine generation):
> If you use the correct ip numbers for a machine running 10.3.3 and one
> running 9.2.1 (non-carbon), can't you print on a network?  I didn't
> have a problem printing 9.2.1 to 9.2.1 so is it a Panther problem?

I'm sorry I somehow missed your first posting. No harm meant.

I'll try to give you an answer from my personal field of experience:
I'm responsible for a small school-network consisting of

two Macs running Mac OS X 10.3.3

six Macs running Mac OS 9.2.2

three Macs running Mac OS 9.1

two PCs running Windows 2000

and they all print from a HP Color Laserjet 3500N via Ethernet.

Initially, I had quite some problems with the two boxes running
Panther, as a wanted to configure them as TCP/IP-printers. I could not
get them work that way. However, as soon as tried to configure them as
AppleTalk-Printers, everything went fine.

So, it can't be a Panther problem.

Hope this may be of some help. Good luck!     Steff