[G4] Inferior Computers [What!!!]---10.3 Printer sharing to os 9,

Daniel Brieck Jr. djbrieck at mac.com
Sat May 22 06:57:45 PDT 2004

This is the G4 List, pretty much all the computers here could be
considered "inferior" or not as powerful when compared to a G5. As long
as the computer works for you thats all that matters. My G4 500 MHz is
somewhat long in the tooth when compared to new stuff, but it works
fine for me.  And as for big (100Gig +Drives)  hard drives, their cheap
thats why many have bought them the computers don't all necessarily
come with them by any means. Ram used to be cheap, but not anymore so
that can be expensive, but not totally out of reach. You can make your
computer less inferior by doing some minor upgrades. The only machines
that are truly inferior are those old Performa's...... Specifically the
6200 series, because they are so poorly designed that upgrades other
than hard drives or ram are impossible.... So your Beige G3 is a good
computer, you could put a G4 in it if you wanted to....

----------------

Now as for the printing problem between os 9.2 and 10.3. Well it's not
going to work directly according to apple.

Your answer is not far away.........

Do this go to the finder in mac os 10.3 , then go to Help, then Select
Mac Help.

Type "printer sharing" and search.  You should find this: "Sharing your
USB printer with Mac OS 9 computers"

Boom, its that Simple problem solved..... Right, I doubt it but
at-least you know why it does not work and have a cheap solution that
might work ....  :-)

Dan Brieck Jr.
---------------------------------------

Sharing your USB printer with Mac OS 9 computers

If you share a USB printer connected to your computer by using Printer
Sharing in Sharing preferences, computers using Mac OS 9 cannot connect
to the printer. However, you can use the USB Printer Sharing control
panel in Mac OS 9 to share the printer with Mac OS 9 computers.
	1.  	 Open the Mac OS 9 System Folder used by the Classic environment.
	2.  	 Open the Control Panels folder and double-click USB Printer
Sharing. The Classic environment starts (if it isn't already started).
	3.  	 If necessary, click Start/Stop in the control panel, then click
the Start button.
	4.  	 Click My Printers and select the Share checkbox next to the name
of your USB printer.

  Note: If you turn off printer sharing in Mac OS X, you can still use
the USB Printer Sharing control panel in the Classic environment to
share printers.

  For help using Mac OS 9 USB Printer Sharing, look in the Mac OS 9
version of Mac Help. With a Mac OS 9 application open, choose Chooser
from the Mac OS 9 Apple menu, then choose Mac Help from the Help menu.