[G4] Printer Sharing

Stefan Daehler gesar at tiscalinet.ch
Sat May 22 08:47:50 PDT 2004

Original Message:

>> I'm not sure I can help, but I am running one G4 400 AGP with OS
>> 9.1.1 and the other 450 AGP with 10.3.3.  I'm using a desktop printer
>> on the OS 9 side to share the printer with the OS X machine.  I found
>> a document on the Web on how to set this up and would be glad to try
>> to find it again and send it to you.  I can't remember your original
>> post, but if this is what you are trying to do, let me know.
>
> Is this
> (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031201162848684) what
> you were looking for?     Steff

Out of curiosity, I tried that workaround right before. Much to my
surprise, it's working!

Conditions:
- The USB-Printer has to be connected to the machine running OS X.

- A driver for a LaserPrinter (I took "LaserWriter 8") must be enabled
on the machine running Mac OS 9 in order to let Desktop Printer Utility
do its job.

Result: A DesktopPrinter-symbol looking like a LaserWriter, but named
"Deskjet 930C" and working without limitations.

Anyway, this solution is only close to what I, personally, wanted to
find. I'd like to leave the printer at the OS 9-machine, sharing it
with the one running OS X. May be, somebody has a solution for this
scenario?

Cheers     Steff