Upgrades and Updates

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Mon May 24 12:42:44 PDT 2004

Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net> wrote:

> What's involved with a clean install? Of OSX? Of OS9? What are the
> advantages/
> disadvantages of doing a clean install of Jaguar? Should I skip Jaguar
> and just
> go to Panther? Should I upgrade OS9 from 9.2.1 to 9.2.2? Should I
> partition?
> Does know a resource with a step-by-step for partitioning and related
> matters like this? (Missing Manual doesn't really cover, and yeah, I
> need to buy
> a new one).

Anne:

The clean install is what you did with the Archive and Install that you
mentioned in another thread:  Previous System Folder....

Archive and Install is now generally recognized as the most stable and
effective choice.  Most people who have moved from Jaguar to Panther are
happy they did; few have gone back.

OS 9.2.2?  Most definitely, do it.  There are "read me" documents with each
for hot to do it.

Partition.  There are many valid reasons and opinions pro and con.  They
usually depend on one's individual circumstances.  On my QuickSilver 733, I
had 9 volumes spread over two internal hard drives.  That was fine.  I am
just now in the midst of reorganizing and simplifying things and will end up
with 4 volumes.  One drive will have one single volume for OS X Panther and
all documents and applications that come under OS X.  This volume will also
have a Classic 9.2.2 System Folder.  The other drive will have a bootable
(startup) OS 9.2.2 volume, an OS X Emergency volume, and a Scratch volume
for Photoshop Elements.  The 9.2.2 startup volume will hold all legacy
applications and documents.  It will also have a folder to let me hold a
backup copy of my OS X Home folder and whatever else I might decide to
backup there from the OS X drive.  And vice versa, the OS X Home folder in
Documents will have a folder to hold backup copy of the OS 9.2.2 documents.
I still occasionally will backup to CD-ROM.

Last month, I generated questions in two threads about partitioning on the X
Newbies list.  I've noticed you use that list also.  I am taking the liberty
of sending you my archived copy of the two threads.  These were the best
discussions on partitioning that I have seen on several lists over the past
few years.

For step by step in partitioning, I went to Apple's Support tab at their web
site and typed "partitions" in the search box.  That gave two excellent
articles.  I recommend you print them.

> I need how-tos and information to help me evaluate whether and when. If
> I update
> to 10.2.8, will my HP4400C scanner still work? - I note from their site
> there are still
> as of yet no OSX drivers. My Palm 500? Etc. Is there an easier way to
> get one's settings
> back? (I have taken extensive notes from my present episode, which will
> help with any
> future ones.)

Printer and Palm.  I cannot help.

> I need to do better backups. I'm doing fine with documents, but I let
> the whole system
> backup wait too long. (It was very time-consuming.) How do I learn more
> about Dantz
> Retrospect, in terms of evaluating the best backup procedure for me? Go
> to their site,
> of course ... I also feel the whole system backup was prolly
> compromised by whatever
> problem I had, and would like to start over. I now know how to use it
> better.

If you are now happy with Retrospect, fine.  If not, check out Carbon Copy
Cloner (CCC) at http://www.bombich.com/
I have not used either Retrospect or CCC.  But I understand CCC is simpler
to use and still quite flexible in what it does.

Good luck,

--
Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,