[G4] Upgrades and Updates

Dennis B. Swaney romad at cncnet.com
Mon May 24 11:33:13 PDT 2004

At 8:21 -0400 5/24/04, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

>However, when I get back I will have to think seriously about
>updating to 10.2.8 because
>of the security fix, which is only available for that version and
>above. Once I get myself
>updated, I will do same with my Dad's machine, assuming I can pry
>him loose from
>OS 10.1 and get him to buy Jaguar. It really *IS* time.

Forget Jaguar and go directly to Panther, assuming the Macs have the
memory & processor for it (yours does, but what about your dad's?)

>.
>
>Questions -
>
>What's involved with a clean install? Of OSX? Of OS9? What are the advantages/
>disadvantages of doing a clean install of Jaguar? Should I skip
>Jaguar and just
>go to Panther? Should I upgrade OS9 from 9.2.1 to 9.2.2? Should I partition?
>Does know a resource with a step-by-step for partitioning and related
>matters like this? (Missing Manual doesn't really cover, and yeah, I
>need to buy
>a new one).

Partitioning is a personal choice. Some swear that it is mandatory
but others don't. I look at it this way: if separate partitions are
better than 1, then that is the way Apple would set up the computers
from the factory. Basically it is more of a convenience thing. My old
Bondi iMac is partitioned due to the 8 GB limit; my G4 iMac is not
partitioned.

>I need how-tos and information to help me evaluate whether and when.
>If I update
>to 10.2.8, will my HP4400C scanner still work? - I note from their
>site there are still
>as of yet no OSX drivers. My Palm 500? Etc. Is there an easier way
>to get one's settings
>back? (I have taken extensive notes from my present episode, which
>will help with any
>future ones.)

I had a problem with Palm Desktop when I upgraded to Jaguar.
Supposedly PalmSource has posted a patch/upgrade to fix it. However,
by enabling root and reinstalling the Palm Desktop software while
logged in as root, fixed the problem for me.

>Also, I should
>update the OS9 to 9.2.2, but on a dialup this is frightfully slow, so prolly
>need to get my brother to d/l on his fast connex on Windows and mail
>me a CD. Will
>this work? It did for OS9.1 for the laptop. Will this work for the
>10.2.8 update?

If you buy Panther, you can send in a proof-of-purchase card and get
9.2.2 on cd for just the price of shipping.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney

"Windows is a command-line OS with a GUI shell while Mac System 10 is
... oh, never mind."