[G4] Dual 1.25Ghz Fw800 showing up as 1GhzDP question

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Nov 6 20:46:36 PST 2004

On 5 Nov, 2004, at 20:36, Rod wrote:

I'm actually a Apple Service Technician, and I have had a good look
around
the motherboard.  None of the screws have been touched ie there are no
screwdriver marks on the screw heads.  It would have stood out if the
cpu
baard had been removed.

I'm not a certified AST, but I take enough care that I don't leave
buggered up screw heads in the machines that I work on. Not having
marks on the screws doesn't necessarily mean that the cpu had not been
changed out.

Now, if Apple were to use a thread-lock liquid/sealer like BMW does, it
would show up in a New York minute that someone had been tinkering with
the insides of the machine and you would have reason to suspect
evil-doings. In their thriftiness, Apple leaves out this step in the
manufacturing and makes it possible to change all sorts of equipment
without leaving a trace.

I have no knowledge of units leaving the factory with incorrect
labeling (except for a few "500 MHz" machines that were actually only
450 MHz because of physical limits on the mobo), so it seems to me that
there was indeed a change of processor chips at some time in the past
by a previous owner.

It is labeled correctly or incorrectly, which choice you make is up to
you, but I would go with the original label and look for the reason for
the inconsistency.