[G4] Bad Power Supply?

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Sun Nov 7 05:29:35 PST 2004

On Nov 6, 2004, at 11:53 PM, Ronald Steinke wrote:
> Sounds to me like a heat buildup problem. Does the first shutdown
> happen after a certain time has passed? And, then the later shutdowns
> occur with shorter time intervals as you are working? That would
> indicate to me that there is a buildup of heat that is causing a fault
> to occur in the power supply unit.

It shut off 3 times in one day. I moved the plug and blew out the dust.
After that, it worked fine for a few days. Then, it shut off again
yesterday. I turned it back on last night, and it has been running
since then with out a problem.

> You might also check the wall circuit you are plugged into for
> continuity after running a machine for a time. If there is a GCI
> socket installed in that circuit, you may be getting false over-power
> signals from it that cause the circuit to shut off until it cools down
> again.

It has been plugged in to the same outlet for almost a year with out
this happening.  I'm going to replace the cord and see what happens.

Thanks--

Kevin