[G4] wide format printer question...

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 9 17:48:44 PST 2004

Frank:

An InkJet printer does not sound like the way to go to me for a
publication.  Too costly on ink.

Go up on ebay and take a good long look at Xerox N40 or N4023 Laser
Printers.  Many times you can pick them up for $300-$500 plus shipping.
  And many times they come with the added Paper Tray Assembly.  That's 5
drawers (mine had the Duplexor as well) and these handle 11x17" (B&W
only).  If you want colour then look for colour Lasers.  Duplexors
allow double sided printing without re-inserting the paper.

Bottom line, these things are coming out of companies now and can be
had at very reasonable prices.  Most large companies only keep a
printer 8-10 years, then dump it cheap.  8 years ago the top of the
line printers were pretty awesome, even compared to todays home
standards.  Look for Laser and Ethernet connectivity - these printers
are supported forever and print thousands of pages before they need
more ink or servicing.  Best to find a local vendor, so you can pick up
as they are very heavy and costly to ship.  Once you have one set up
they are very in-expensive.

jj

PS: I really like having good printers. I have Xerox N40 (B&W) and
Tektronix DP750 (Colour), both with the Paper Tray Assemblies and
Duplexors.

On 9-Nov-04, at 4:13 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com