[G4] Re: About external drives

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Wed Nov 17 18:49:43 PST 2004

I would power it off.  Recent recommendations on this old issue
indicate that the stresses of turning on and off are less now in new
model hard drives than they were a few years ago.  You save both
electricity and wear on the bearings.

Kevin Willis <res19rmg at verizon.net> wrote:

> I just started using the "sleep" mode on my G4 instead of shutting down
> every night.  It has been running for about a week now.  I have a 40 Gb
> drive installed in an external case connected to a USB port.  The
> external case has it's own power switch.  Should I power off the
> external drive when I put the system to sleep, or should I let the
> drive spin until it eventually crashes?

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.