[G4] What happened to make Ram shoot above 512?

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 22 08:08:44 PST 2004

Cheap RAM available to everyone.  Human nature to want the 'most' one
can have.  OSX using more RAM than any previous system and so do all
the programs.

That being said, I have run 2 gig and 1.5 gig and 1 gig of RAM and
found that 1.5 and 2 show little to no difference in speed, even with
Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Acrobat and a few other things
running at the same time.  There seems to be a slight difference from 1
to 1.5 gig, but truely very insignifigant in my case.

If you do buy a shiny new G5 then get ready to belly up with the
$350-400 to get the 1 gig sticks put in.  This RAM has not come down
much yet.  And I do not think it will for a while.

As far as what your G4 SYSTEM CAN HANDLE
OS 9      1.5 gig MAX
OS X       2   gig MAX  (as this is all the G4 can fit)

excepting the new desktop G5s in OSX - they can handle 8 gig MAX.
Some G5s can only take 2 gig (new imac) and the 1.6 Mhz is 4 gig RAM

Most limitations on RAM in OSX is physical, and OS9 is software.

jj

On 22-Nov-04, at 9:53 AM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com