Maxtor 60G about to die? (was Re: [G4] re: my hard drive western dig vs maxtor?

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Wed Nov 24 12:48:32 PST 2004

byen, things look pretty pad for your hard drive.  Have you run any
disk hardware utilities in these three years?

It is good to backup whatever you cannot afford to lose forever.  I
would check the drive with Disk Utility (OS X) or Disk First Aid (OS 9
or earlier).  Run any repairs based on the messages you get.  If that
does not resolve things, I would run TechTools Pro and followup on any
repairs it wants.  If these measures work out ok, but symptoms persist,
the next step would be to defragment the drive.  TechTools Pro can do
that.  But make sure you have plenty of empty space on the drive, say
30 or 40 percent.  Defragmenting requires plenty of elbow room.  Next,
I would think about reinstalling the OS.  Beyond that, I would replace
the drive.  I now avoid using Norton Utilities.

By the way, yes, install your spare drive.  Make sure you can start up
from it.  Copy your good stuff from the Maxtor.  If the spare drive
works fine and you no longer have bad symptoms, you can explore your
Maxtor at leisure.  I cannot say much about disk mirroring; I wouldn't
mess with that until you know you have two good drives to start with.

Good Luck,

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.