[G4] Radeon 8500 vs. 9000

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Thu Nov 25 06:29:06 PST 2004

	I am looking to upgrade the video card in my G4.  I was thinking about
getting a 8500 from ATI, but I noticed the 9000 is $50 cheaper and it
has twice the memory as the 8500.  I checked out the benchmarks at
xlr8yourmac.com and noticed the 8500 was as good or better than the
9000 in almost every test.  However, I am wondering if it was $50
better.

	I bought a 8500 off eBay a couple of weeks ago, but after updating the
firmware, I have had nothing but trouble with it.  I am thinking it is
a flashed PC card that has now been toasted by the firmware update.  I
was hoping to get it to work, but it doesn't look like that is going to
happen.  On the other hand, if any one is interested in doing a little
experimenting, I may be interested in selling it.

Thanks--

Kevin