[G4] Radeon 8500 vs. 9000

Ralph Garrett ralphbones at kc.rr.com
Fri Nov 26 13:01:57 PST 2004

On Nov 25, 2004, at 17:32, Kevin Willis wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2004, at 3:29 PM, Jim Pacyga wrote:
>
>> I think the story goes that the 9000 was an evolution of the
>> 7000...and the later 9xxx are evolutions of the 8500 hence why the
>> 9000 is not better than the 8500.
>>
>> Have you looked at all the logs to see if anything obvious is
>> happening?
>>

> I check the logs after rebooting following a crash.  I don't really
> understand what it all means though.  I am pretty sure it is a flashed
> PC card that was sold as a "Mac compatible" card.  I think the
> firmware update messed up the flash.  I am going to try and get my
> money back and find a real Mac edition card.  So much for saving a few
> bucks.
>
> Thanks--
>
> Kevin

Kevin,

I have been using a flashed PC 8500 for a couple of years now and I
have flashed several others for friends with no problems. This is a
good place to look for more info on flashing PC video cards.
http://www.cybercoment.com/macgeforce.htm

One thing to keep in mind with PC 8500 cards is some have different
clock speeds for the GPU and memory. Sometimes all you have to do is
slow the rated speed down to get the card to work fine.
I do the flashing in OS9 and start with the ROM firmware restore then
flash to ROM version 126.
All the info you need is at the above site but you can e-mail me off
list if you need more help.

Ralph