[G4] INSTALLING A SUPERDRIVE

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Oct 5 20:27:08 PDT 2004

On Oct 5, 2004, at 8:02 PM, rich northouse wrote:

I would also like to install a third hard drive. I have purchased a
Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 PCI card to support this third drive -- in
particular because it is a  200 gig hard drive. Can someone tell me
where I can mount this 3rd drive?

According to MacTracker, your machine is capable of using up to four
separate 3.5" devices internally. The main drive is usually mounted in
the right-most position on the chassis when looking at it with the rear
of the case on your right.

Do you have a two-drive mounting bracket under your main drive? If you
do, all you need is a short three-connector plug IDE ribbon to use with
the drives mounted one atop the other. Be sure to identify them as
"Master" and "Slave" to prevent identification problems.

If you only have the single drive mounting brackets, you can mount the
second drive right next to the original drive, but you will need a
longer IDE ribbon to connect them.