[G4] Juiceing Up a G4 Quick Silver

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Oct 12 09:33:45 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, October 12, 2004, at 11:28  AM, Ryan Reinike wrote:

about upgrading 867 QS.

I have an 867.
My upgrades have been:
  867 to 1.2 gig OWC . Very Good performance. Noticeable decrease in
render time and more realtime effects in FCP.

Upgraded DVR 103 to DVR 105. Faster DVD burn. Slightly more compatible.
Well worth it.

Bought the machine with 1.2 gig of ram. 1.5 would be better but at 1.2
I am never short of ram.

I took out the Nvidia GeForce2 and put in a used GEForce4mx.
This is not a top or new card and I notice very little difference, but
it works fine and never hangs up or refuses to show something.
resolution is good.
  There are hotter cards available but not cheap.

So the GEForce4 iis a sober card.

If you put in a DP expect dramatic speed increases. Ram is real
important and the more ram you can stuff in the less virtual will go on
making your machine faster and  more stable. IMHO
Average combined performance is difficult to compare. Not all apps are
ready for a DP but FCP should go twice as fast. Photoshop too.

If you are editing video one big favor you can do yourself is a
dedicated media drive.
Easy to install right on top of main drive.
I chose a Seagate Barracuda  80 gig. Not a hiccup.

None of my stuff is newest hottest or most expensive, but it was easy
to do and enhanced the performance.
Jim