[G4] Firewire Confusion

Carol java_j at macosx.com
Sun Oct 17 20:02:14 PDT 2004

I recently purchased a Mercury Elite Pro Firewire drive from OWC.  It
came with Hard Disk Speed Tools.  I am attempting to check out the drive
with their program called Integrity.

I am using a dual-boot. dual processor 1.25 G4 running OS 10.3.5.  The
drive is giving me errors when it compares what it wrote to what it
attempted to write.  The manufacturer suggests zero formatting with Disk
Utility.  That has failed.

What is strange is that I can reformat the drive using Hard Disk Speed
Tools under OS 9.2.2 on my older single processor G4.  The Classic
version of Integrity does not report read/write errors.

Then I tried the Classic version of Integrity on my dual processor after
I booted it to OS 9.  I still had read/write errors.

This sounds to me like a problem with the dual processor and not the
drive.  Any other hints?

Apple tech support suggested that I try reformatting the drive on my
single processor using Disk Setup in OS 9 since I had no luck with Disk
Utility in OS 10.3.5.

Will Drive Setup even format firewire drives?  My drive mounted and
showed up with Disk First Aid, but it did not show up under Drive Setup.

--
Carol -