[G4] Trying to install a ATA drive in the rear carrier

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Oct 24 19:34:31 PDT 2004

On Oct 24, 2004, at 10:34 AM, David wrote:

  I pull the grey tab out but I can't lift it up no matter how hard I
lift. I must be missing something obvious? Anyone with any suggestions?

David,

If you haven't had the chance to read the data file that was suggested
earlier, this is what you need to look for.

At the IDE ribbon end of the hard drive mounting plate, you can see a
very small screw with a flat head that is holding the plate to the
chassis. This screw must be taken out before you can remove the drive
and/or the mounting plate from the G4.

Once the screw is removed, the mounting plate must be pulled toward the
case hinge to unhook two tabs from their slots in the chassis. Turn the
mounting plate over to see the tabs and the screws holding the drive to
the plate.

When you re-install the plate, be sure that you mount the drive on the
plate facing in the proper direction (circuit board toward the plate
and the IDE/power connectors toward the case hinge. You can verify your
alignment prior to tightening the mounting screws.

Hope this helps,
Ron