[G4] Scanning problem

Roger Harris rogrerogre at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 08:04:35 PDT 2004

Hi,

The ViewScan software is very good. It does not work
through Photoshop plug-ins but as a stand alone
application. If your scann is over 100mb it can be
slow on older hardware. But the real point is that for
$60 you can buy a much better scanner than the
ScanMaker III.

I do a lot of graphic support work for agencies and
companies. I work with a lot of scanners and put
scanners through test that reviewers would not even
think of. The hands down best overall medium to cheap
scanners are from Epson. They have a refubished now
for $69
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=45471983

For a little more than the cost of software you can
get a very good scanner. If you go to BUY.COM you can
find scanners for under $50. Any of them that are name
brands are better than the ScanMaker III. The scanning
technology for even cheap scanners has moved way ahead
of great scanners of a few years back. Cheap New HPs,
Canons, and Epsons are miles ahead of the 4 year old
Pro scanners I have in my shop. These newer scanners
will make a big noticable difference to your scans.

I hate to toss out good running hardware, but the
ScanMake 4 I had is now gone. My $1400 Epson is
replaced by a $350 Epson and my LinoType is loaned to
the needy.

Luck
Roger