[G4] Nvidea Geforce 3 Vs. ATI 8500

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Mon Oct 25 17:07:13 PDT 2004

The extra VRAM wouldn't make any difference for DVD watching, both can
handle that with no sweat. The 8500 can push more pixels than the 9000,
but I don't know for sure if the extra VRAM would make a difference.
ATI doesn't make it easy to make true performance comparisons. You can
look here:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/Radeon_9700PRO_OEM/index3.html at
some comparisons with a 9700 card that shows some slight differences
between the cards, the 8500 faster in some and the 9000 faster in
others. You can see the the vertex shaders work better in the 8500.
Game performance is a mixed bag. What might make the most difference to
you is if you have an Apple ADC studio display. The 8500 doesn't have
that connector and the 9000 does.
Mel

"Man blames fate for other accidents, but feels personally responsible
when he makes a hole in one."
~ Author Unknown