[G4] Airport Express behavior

John Lanza john.lanza at comcast.net
Sat Oct 30 13:26:16 PDT 2004

All:

I hope someone out there can help me with this, since Apple support was
unable to do so.  I have an Airport Extreme Base Station and an Airport
Express.  The Airport Extreme and Airport Express are configured as a
Wireless Distribution System -- the Extreme is the main base station
and the Express is a remote base station.

Connected to the wireless network is a Powerbook G4 and a PowerMac G4
(AGP).  Both are running X.3.5, iTunes 4.7, and software update has
been run on both machines to insure they have the most up-to-date
versions of all software.  I have checked the preferences settings on
both machines for iTunes, Network Connect, etc. and they are identical.
  The rub is that the PowerBook can stream mp3 files to the Airport
Express with no trouble.  The PowerMac G4, however, can't, although it
happily accesses the Internet over the Express.  In fact, iTunes on the
PowerMac doesn't even display the pull-down menu for selecting the
Airport Express.  The only difference between the two machines is the
cards -- the PowerMac G4 has a regular Airport Card (802.11b) and the
PowerBook G4 has an Airport Extreme Card (802.11g).

Since all Apple marketing material states that one can use 802.11b
cards with Express, I'm at a loss for what could be the problem.  Any
ideas?

johnl