[G4] Re: iTunes and a new HD

Lawrance A.Schneider llaass at rivah.net
Fri Sep 24 07:17:50 PDT 2004

Hi,

My original problem:

Hello,

I've bought a new larger HD for my 'puter - a dual G4 125.

I've always kept my iTunes library on a separate disk: Music//iTunes.
Since I switched to the new drive, I can't access my library.  All
pieces are grayed out.  If I go back to the old startup disk,
everything works fine.  Any suggestions as to what to do?

Thanks			Larry

Some suggestions:

Larry,
When you open iTunes preferences under Advanced it allows you to
specify the location of your library. What I have done is copy my
iTunes folder from the previous hard drive to the new one I wanted to
use, then use iTunes preferences to select the new hard drive. Did you
try that? Is the new HD grayed out?
Mel

&

My first guess is that it would be a previous alias to the old hard
drive
that is no longer recognized the same for one of a variety of reasons.
If
you navigate to the folder instead of trying to go there directly
through a
previous shortcut, it should show up that way.  The problem will be if
you
boot up from one drive sometimes and the other drive at other times and
they
both have the same name it could get confusing.

I hope that makes sense, I know what I mean, even if I can't say it
clearly.
;-)

Valerie

Here is what worked which I'm repeating from another email to another
group:

Finally, I got it working!!  I tried bring it back coping it back to the
new drive and then correcting permissions.  NO GOOD.  I tried making an
alias to it.  NO GOOD  finally, I read in another post:

| Toss the "iTunes 4 Music Library" and "iTunes Music Library.xml.
| files. Normally these are in ~/Music/iTunes.

I then copied the old files from my old "Panther" drive.  IT WORKED!!!!

Thanks      Larry