[G4] Sonnet Encore install

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Sun Sep 26 12:37:52 PDT 2004

At 12:11 -0700 9/26/04, Ron Steinke wrote:
>I am not sure exactly why you are saying that the normal way is to reset the CUDA when I could not find any reference to having to do that in any of the literature that came with either my 800MHz or my 1GHz Sonnet upgrades.
>
>What is the reason for doing that, if any?

Earlier processor upgrades left  the original processor in place to handle such things as initial booting. A simple INIT could then switch to the new after the machine is running.

My 8500 was one of the first Macs to allow an upgrade from a 60x to the G3 with a process that actually removed the old processor. To accomplish that something is required to tell the boot firmware to use compatible operations for the new processor. Resetting the CUDA switch was absolutely required and the instructions said so.

Changing from a slow G4 to a faster version probably does not require mucking with the boot code.

--
-->  The best programming tool is a soldering iron <--