[G4] A few questions about RAIDS

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Mon Apr 11 11:50:08 PDT 2005

	I have a few questions about using RAIDS in my G4.  I started with a
120 GB hard drive.  I partitioned as follows. 10 GB with OS 9.2.2
installed, 80 GB with Panther installed, and the rest I use for
recording to with my TV card.

	I recently added 2 40 GB ATA drives that I set up in a Striped RAID.
I did a new install of Panther on it and have been using that as my
primary drive for a few weeks now.  However, when I have to do the
occasional PRAM zap (to fix a recurring problem with my TV card), the
system reboots in OS 9.2.2.  Then I have to go into the control panel
to change my start up disk.  For some reason  the system folder on my
RAID doesn't show up.  I have to boot into my old Panther folder, then
select my RAID folder and reboot into it.

	If I was to erase my old Panther system folder, would I be able to
boot from my RAID after doing a PRAM zap?  Also, is it possible to
erase the 80 GB partition and add it to my striped RAID as a mirrored
RAID with out having to reinstall Panther?  I would like to use that as
a way of constantly backing up my system.

	So, I guess the final configuration would be 2 40 GB drives in a
striped RAID, an 80 GB partition from a third drive as a mirror of the
striped RAID, and a 10 GB classic partition and a 20 GB extra
partition.

Thanks,

Kevin