[G4] How to Ditch Norton (Again)

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sun Apr 17 17:52:02 PDT 2005

On 04/16/05, "Richard M. Kriss" <rmkriss at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Each time I restart I get a nag note from Norton that it has detected a new
> version of Mac OS and I should update Norton Utilities. I have tried
> (several time) to trash Norton the the horse it rode in on.  I hate hidden
> files and sure would like to get rig of ANYTHING associated with Norton
> Utilities.
>
> Any suggestion for purging Norton will be appreciated.  This G4 will not
> boot from the old Norton CD.

Search in these locations and delete these Norton Utilities items:
/Applications/Norton Solutions
/Library/Application Support/Norton Solutions Support
/Library/Documentation/Help/Norton Help & Scripts
/Library/Plug-ins/DiskImages/NUMPlugin.bundle
/Library/PreferencePanes/FileSaver.prefPane
/Library/Preferences/Network/com.Symantec.LiveUpdate.plist
/Library/Receipts/Norton XXXX.pkg, NUMXXXX.pkgs, and LiveUpdate.pkg
/Library/StartupItems/NortonMissedTasks, NUMCompatibilityCheck, SymDCInit,
TrackDelete, VolumeAssist
~/Library/Preferences/LiveUpdate Preferences, Norton Application Aliases,
Norton Utilities Preferences
invisibles at the root level: /Norton FS Index, FS Volume

Afterwards, rebuild your locate database (sudo
/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb) and do a search for Norton, LiveUpdate, and
the other items.