[G4] OWC Mercury Extreme G4 1.4 GHz upgrade to Quicksilver 2002

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Fri Apr 22 21:22:48 PDT 2005

At 12:09 AM -0400 4/23/05, Alex wrote:
>No ideas, just a few questions:
>
>(1) Do you connect those drives to the Mac's USB ports, or are you using a USB2 card?

USB 2.0 card

>(2) Are the two USB2 enclosures the same brand?

No, not at all.  And the Mac one was an old Toshiba 2.5" HD taken from a G4 TiBook, and put into a cheap plastic USB enclosure, while the other was a new 80 GB Samsung HD in a fairly nice aluminum (Rosewell, NewEgg's brand) enclosure.

>Do they use the same chipset? Same firmware version?

I really do not know, but, I rather doubt it, since they are so different in age and form factor.

>>[...] all my other USB devices [...]
>
>Aren't all the devices you mentioned USB1.1?

Yes, and they run off **powered** external USB hubs.  EXCEPT the PalmOne Zire PDA (I think it is 2.0, but not sure) and one of the flash drives which is definitely 2.0 (complains if I connect it to a 1.1 port).  Not sure about the D-Link DBT-120 BlueTooth dongle, but I think that is also USB 2.0.

--Steve