[G4] OWC Mercury Extreme G4 1.4 GHz upgrade to Quicksilver 2002

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Sat Apr 23 06:10:39 PDT 2005

Thanks, Ron, for the interesting idea.

The 2.5" drive worked before I changed the processor, and the new processor draws less power, though that probably doesn't have much to do with the PCI bus.  But, to your question, yes, the second drive that I tried is a 3.5" form factor, and it has its own power supply. Most all of the other devices I mentioned are working off powered USB hubs.   Also, when I plugged in the 3.5" drive, I heard the familiar "clunk" sound of a disk mounting, but could not see any disk icon, nor any recognition on Disk Utility.  So, i suspect that it is some kind of a software/firmware issue that is way beyond my level of understanding.

I do indeed appreciate your taking the time to think about it and offer suggestions, though.

--Steve