[G4] Wireless SMB folder copy locks Finder and System

Daniel Brieck Jr. djbrieck at mac.com
Sun Apr 24 20:18:10 PDT 2005

When I copy files from my Power Mac g4 to a Dell Inspiron 8200 Laptop
on my wireless network, the Macs finder stops responding and spirals to
an unresponsive system.

Here is what generally happens you drag and drop a folder from the Mac
and copy it to the PC , it starts transferring and while copying at
some point the system seemingly looses connection with the laptop,
because the transfer stops progressing. No spinning cursor yet, but
data has stopped progressing. Clicking stop does nothing and trying to
access anything else in the finder causes a spinning cursor. Also a
thing to note is that I have the Activity Monitor running and hidden at
the start of the computer and the CPU usage is displayed in the Dock by
the Activity Monitor icon. When the spinning cursor starts spinning and
I lose control over the Finder the Activity monitor also halts in
place. Other Dock items will continue running such as Memory Monitor
app and other running apps such as Mail are still available. The dock
is still functional just the finder and Activity Monitor have stopped
responding. Neither the Finder nor the Activity Monitor can be given
the commands to Force Quit or kill them. The computer can’t be
restarted or shut down but can be put to sleep. The only way to get out
of the problems is to press the hard reset button on the computer. This
problem only occurs when transferring the folder wirelessly. If the
computer is plugged in hard wire it works with no problems. Any ideas,
seems like a new 10.3.9 issue…

Power Mac G4 500; Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Dan Brieck Jr.