[G4] EIDE and Ultra ATA RAID

Johns Maillist mymaillist at mac.com
Mon Apr 25 03:51:17 PDT 2005

On Apr 24, 2005, at 10:27 PM, Philip J Robar wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2005, at 5:55 PM, Kevin Willis wrote:
>
>> I have been using a 120 GB Western Digital EIDE drive in my G4 for
>> about a year.  I also have 2 40 GB Ultra ATA drives installed.  I
>> recently picked up a 120 GB Ultra ATA Seagate drive that I put in
>> place of one of the 40 GB drives.
>>
>>  I am planning on setting up a Striped RAID using the 2 120 GB drives
>> and installing Tiger on it.  Is this possible even with the 2
>> different interfaces?  If it is possible, would it be worth spending
>> another $80 or $90 to get another Ultra ATA drive to use in place of
>> the EIDE drive?
>
> "EIDE" and "Ultra" are names made up by marketing types. ATA is the
> official spec. Your EIDE drive is an ATA drive. Search the web if
> you'd like details.
>
> Yes, you can stripe them, but be aware that this increases your chance
> of data loss due to hardware failure - if either drive fails you loose
> all of your data. Also stripping does not provide a performance
> benefit for typical single user desktop installations. For details see
> AnandTech, http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101.
> Quoting from the article's conclusion:
>
>     If you haven't gotten the hint by now, we'll spell it out for you:
> there
>     is no place, and no need for a RAID-0 array on a desktop computer.
>     The real world performance increases are negligible at best and the
>     reduction in reliability, thanks to a halving of the mean time
> between
>     failure, makes RAID-0 far from worth it on the desktop.
>

> On Apr 24, 2005, at 9:04 PM, Johns Maillist wrote:
>
>> The best idea is to buy another Serial ATA drive, add it to the
>> system, STRIPE the two SATA drives!
>
> Kevin said nothing about having a serial ATA drive. Unless he says
> otherwise, I'm assuming that all of the drives he has have parallel
> ATA interfaces.
>

> Phil

Yes, that is correct, I misread that part about the SATA card.
The noted possibility of data loss in the case of one drive failing is
correct.
Buy, I often wonder what happens if you do not run a STRIPE set, just a
standard drive set up, one ATA drive, and IT fails. Do you not lose
your data?
The safer manner is to use mirrored system.
This is assuming that you NEED a RAID array. I am happy with mine,
since I do video editing work, and it does provide a speed icrease.
The caveat is: ALWAYS, and I do mean ALWAYS, back up your files!
John