[G4] EIDE and Ultra ATA RAID

Philip J Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 25 12:23:11 PDT 2005

On Apr 25, 2005, at 3:51 AM, Johns Maillist wrote:

> The noted possibility of data loss in the case of one drive failing
> is correct. But, I often wonder what happens if you do not run a
> STRIPE set, just a standard drive set up, one ATA drive, and IT
> fails. Do you not lose your data?

Yes, but the difference is that with RAID 0 you loose all of the data
on both drives. With two individual drives you have the same chance
of a hardware failure, but you only loose the data on the failed drive.

> The safer manner is to use mirrored system.

I agree. Drives are so inexpensive these days that it doesn't make
sense to not use mirroring - and backups.

Phil