real life application Re: [G4] EIDE and Ultra ATA RAID

shopdog shopdog at mac.com
Mon Apr 25 13:56:37 PDT 2005

Can anyone give advice on an inexpensive way to set up a RAID array
with hot-swappable drives that can be added to easily.  And then also
how to do an offsite backup from that?

I would like to set up a system comprised of many small drives, so that
I can use inexpensive drives but have them be seen as one large drive
(my understanding is that this would be "striped", or perhaps
"concatenated").  I would then like to have this "mirrored" so that
redundancy of data is always present.  I would also like to be able to
then have the drives be hot-swappable, so I can switch drives at any
time.  I would also like, if it is possible, to be able to add drives
at any time, to increase the overall size of the "drive" that is seen
by the computer.  Perhaps the last part can be done if I "concatenate"
the drives?  (My problem is that when the array is full, I want to be
able to simply add an inexpensive drive and starting saving files
again, without having to set up a new array, or save to other disks.)

Then I would like to be able to make (or take away) a backup of the
array so that I always have an offsite backup in case there is a fire,
etc.

Any help would be appreciated.