real life application Re: [G4] EIDE and Ultra ATA RAID

Ralph Garrett ralphbones at kc.rr.com
Mon Apr 25 14:35:02 PDT 2005

On Apr 25, 2005, at 3:56 PM, shopdog wrote:

> Can anyone give advice on an inexpensive way to set up a RAID array
> with hot-swappable drives that can be added to easily.  And then also
> how to do an offsite backup from that?

The easy answer is no. There's no way to cheaply do all the things you
want to do.
The least expensive way I can think of to setup a hot swappable RAID
Array would involve using a multiple channel FW controller, running one
drive on each channel and using Disk Utility to setup a software RAID.

It can also be done with multi channel SATA controllers and enclosures.

Adding to a RAID Array that's already setup can't be done to my
knowledge without starting from scratch.

Ralph