[G4] Re: G4 Digest, Vol 8, Issue 23

Philip J Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 25 16:43:02 PDT 2005

On Apr 25, 2005, at 4:17 PM, Jose Vittori wrote:

>> How do you get the data off the surviving drive in a mirrored RAID
>> array if the array fails?
>
> There's no way to get any data back from the surviving drive. As
> Phil sugested before you could take a tour through this article
> http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101 to get a clean
> idea of what RAID 0 array means.
>
> I was considering to buy a couple of SCSI drives with a controller
> for setting up a RAID 0, it's used rig. But, I think I'd better buy
> some memory instead.

Jose,

I've inserted shopdog's question to provide the proper context.

You're right that a RAID 0 array can not be recovered, but the
question was about a mirrored array (RAID 1). The whole point of a
mirrored setup is that it keeps working even if one half of the array
fails.

Note that RAID 0 isn't actually a RAID at all as it has no
redundancy. It just gets tossed into most RAID discussions because it
involves joining multiple drives to form a single logical volume.

Note also that even with RAID you still need backups. RAID does
nothing to protect you from theft, data corruption, or accidental
deletions.

Phil