[G4] Re: hidden tracks

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Tue Apr 26 15:46:04 PDT 2005

On Apr 26, 2005, at 09:30, Roxylee wrote:

> Thank you for the info on recording what the computer is playing, but
> the problem is, the track won't play or even show up on my computer.

The problem was interesting, so I used cdrdao to write an audio CD with
a hidden track in the track 1 pregap, and then tested the possibilities
of extracting it (which amounts to ripping from index 0 of track 1).
Here's the skinny:

(1) None of the Mac OS X GUI utilities I've tested -- iTunes, Toast,
DragonBurn, etc. -- can extract the hidden track. (And for a good
reason!) There are a few GUI applications which are more or less
wrappers for cdrdao (MissingMediaBurner, Firestarter FX,
MissingCDRGui), but I don't have the time to test those. They may or
may not work (but see below).

(2) It's quite easy to extract it with cdparanoia -- simply enter 0 as
the span argument, and that's it. I suspect it's not much more
complicated with cdrdao or cdda2wav. (But read on...)

However--

As cdparanoia's developer warns, trying to rip from index 0 not only
doesn't work on all CD drives, it may even lock up the firmware on some
drives. Which means, at worst, that the drive is as good as dead; and,
at best, that a firmware patcher or upgrade has to be applied to regain
the use of the drive. But firmware patches/upgrades are not available
for all drives (usually, manufacturers release such updates when more
or less significant flaws in the firmware are found), and, in most
cases, they can only be executed under Windows. Other than previous
experience, there is virtually no way of telling beforehand if this
manoeuvre will lock up the firmware of any particular drive. So there
is a very good reason why tools such as Toast don't do it.

There you have it, Roxylee. Unless you're prepared to run the risk
outlined above, you'd better not try it. My suggestion is either (a)
ask a friend with a PC to extract it under Windows (ExactAudioCopy) or
Linux (cdparanoia), if he's willing to take the risk, or (b) hook up
your CD player to your Mac's audio input, and record it (you'll find
several free audio recording apps on VersionTracker or MacUpdated).

<0x0192>