[G4] EIDE and Ultra ATA RAID

shopdog shopdog at mac.com
Wed Apr 27 18:23:24 PDT 2005

Philip:

Thanks for the information.  I will try to find some of those
tutorials. I'm a little wary about using a RAID system.  I asked the
question because I tested a mirrored RAID system once, in the following
manner.  Maybe you all can educate me on what I should have done
instead...

I set up 2 firewire (wall powered) hard drives (same make, same size)
in a mirrored array using OS X's disk utility.  I saved a file to the
array.  I restarted the computer (I have a 12" PowerBook) with both
drives attached, and the array and the file were fine.  I shut down the
computer, and disconnected one of the drives.  I started the computer,
and the system showed the array as corrupted, and of course, I couldn't
get to the file.  I shut down the computer, reattached the drive (so
both drives were attached as before), and then started the computer.
The system showed the array still corrupted.

I was wondering, if the drive I had disconnected could not be replaced
(say it had mechanically failed), how would I have been able to get the
file off the one drive?  Or would I have to get a new drive and rebuild
the array to get the file.

Thanks for any insight....

shopdog