[G4] Jump from Jaguar directly to Tiger?

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Apr 28 12:58:55 PDT 2005

On 27 Apr, 2005, at 19:46, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

I am on v10.2.8 and thinking the best thing might be to see how stable
Tiger is and just go right for that, in a couple months. Any downsides?

The real downside is for the distributors of OS X.4. They won't get
your extra $129 for v10.3.

Other than that, as long as you have been operating without the
benefits of v10.3 and not having problems, you can't complain about
missing the advantages of it over v10.2. You will have a little bit
more of an adjustment to make to v10.4 because you haven't had the
v10.3 experience yet but, again, you shouldn't have any complaints,
just slight bewilderment as to why things happen the way that they do
in the new version.

If you are able to do all the work that you want in v10.2, you might
even consider waiting longer than a couple of months and see what other
improvements come down the road. If the improvements of v10.4 aren't
something you will definitely use or will vastly improve your
productivity, it just might not be economically beneficial to you to do
the upgrade yet.

Just because an upgrade comes down the road, it doesn't always mean
that you should run down to the store and lay out all that money right
away (Unless you are one of those people who HAVE TO HAVE the latest
and newest of everything in their Mac). For those of us who spend hours
and hours in front of Macs, the upgrades may have more meaning and
benefits and may make our work easier. It all depends on what for and
how you use your Mac.

I will be getting my copy as soon as I get my next check, so I have no
excuse for spending except that I do work with Macs every day, putting
them back in operating condition for the school district, and want to
be able to keep up with the technical operating parameters.

If I was just a home-user or a student, I would wait until something
came out that I really needed to keep my Mac working properly. If I
were a SOHO user, I would consider the financial benefit to my SOHO
versus the cost. If it makes me more money then it should be better for
me, right?

Just my $.02 worth.