[G4] Re: Network Sharing Oddity

Dale Hoffman dhoff at margnat.com
Fri Apr 29 06:23:15 PDT 2005

>Hi DaleH,
>	The SMB/CIFS window means that your macs are trying to
>masquerade as PCs on the network. The best way to deal with this
>little issue is to disable Windows Sharing in the Sharing panel of
>your System Preferences. This means that your macs will behave only
>like macs and it will also solve the duplicate icon thing. Now your
>network will be an AppleTalk-only network. Also please note that if
>you have any PCs, you won't be able to use the macs as servers.
>Clienst will be fine though. Hope this helps...
>					Anthony

Thanks Anthony.
I was wondering about that Dell laptop hanging on the network that I
never use. I activated Windows Sharing on the Macs and will
deactivate to see if the icon issue goes away. I'm not sure what you
mean by the PC being able to use the Macs as Clients, but not
servers. What would you recommend for networking in my situation? I
once had PCMacLan on a PC back in the OS8 days which worked fine.
DaleH