[G4] Mighty Mouse... or not

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Aug 6 17:36:08 PDT 2005

On 6 Aug, 2005, at 17:16, Doug McNutt wrote:

I have never seen a broken wire on a Mighty Mouse. In fact I haven't
even seen a Mighty Mouse. But my X-acto knife is broken and my duct
tape roll is empty from repairing older Apple mice that look a whole
lot like the Mighty Mouse.

Let me see if I understand all this----
Your knife blade is broken, right? And, your duct tape roll has been
emptied, also right? Thirdly, you have repaired other Apple mice that
look like the new mouse, also correct?
It sounds to me like you have a defective logic board between your
ears, not that having it would be a bad thing, and you cannot see the
critical difference between the older and the newer mice and are
jumping to a conclusion without adequate proof.

The older mice do not cost as much as the newer Mighty Mouse will and
that is a TREMENDOUS difference. This difference may be the deciding
factor in preserving the integrity of the attached mouse data cable and
could negate the need for repairs in the future. This would be a
gigantic savings for those of us who have only limited incomes (none of
daddy's money in our bank accounts and we have to work for what little
we get) and have to make daily decisions of where to spread our
hard-won resources.

If, and I use the word in its strongest and most suspicious definition,
the MM cable is subject to untimely wire separation which could require
repair/replacement by the user, then it is likely that investing
limited moneys in the purchase would be foolish. However, unless the
problem is completely studied and documented, I would feel that this
notice regarding "broken wire" is untimely and provocative in nature
and should be removed post-haste.

This having been said, I will return to playing Apeiron. I'm retired
and don't have to work for my money any more.