[G4] Jumper advice

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Aug 26 23:47:52 PDT 2005

On 26 Aug, 2005, at 22:41, Ron Michael wrote:

---I’m trying to move the Hitatchi 80Gig which was the original main
drive on my G4 1.25mhz mirror door. Trying to move it to the bottom
carrier below the optical drives. That is where my main startup drive
is located which is now a Maxtor 120. The other carrier contains a
Seagate 160 and another Maxtor 160. That Hitatchi drive has the most
confusing jumper setting diagram I’ve ever seen.---

By my count, you are attempting to install four (4) drives in your
chassis. I tried to do the same a few months ago and found that the
fourth drive would not show up during boot-up most of the time, only
showing up when I did an immediate restart from the menu.

This problem was appearing even though I had installed a Sonnet ATA-100
IDE controller card in the first PCI slot of my Gbit Ethernet G4. It
didn't matter which ribbon I connected the fourth drive to, it wouldn't
show at boot-up. When I removed the fourth drive and put it into a
FireWire case, every drive showed up at boot-up. This may be a problem
of not enough power out of the power supply, but I don't have enough
knowledge of electrical operations to make a definite statement to that
effect.

As to you trying to use "Cable Select" setting for the jumpers, I have
only had sporadic success in making drives identified as "CS" recognize
and show up on the desktop. Some machines will see them and other
machines refuse to see them and I don't have enough
information/knowledge to explain why that happens. I simply stopped
attempting to use "CS" as the jumper setting and always use Master and
Slave settings.

I have a 30G Deskstar drive with a confusing array of diagrams also,
but careful reading of the settings should set you straight.
Carefully compare the diagrams for Master/Slave settings and select the
one that most closely describes your configuration; ie: "Normal Use":
YNNY = Master, or NNYY = Slave. Do not use any setting for "2GB CLIP"
or "7.9GB ONLY" or "Auto Spin Disable". Those settings are strictly for
WhineDoze machines.

Also, try putting the Master drive at the far end of the ribbon and the
Slave drive on the middle connector. Physical location can cause
problems in identification.