[G4] Still using OS 9.1 on my G4-400 mhz.

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Thu Dec 1 11:31:28 PST 2005

On Dec 1, 2005, at 2:12 PM, Sy wrote:

> Thanks for the various comments.  I have several
> questions:
>
> **Can I go DIRECTLY from 9.1 to  9.2.2?

You should. But it's worth looking up whether your machine is 9.2.2
capable. I'd say yes.

> **Regarding the OSX "Classic"" mode  most of the
> applications I use for my business are running on OS
> 9.1 so would they run on the OSX Classic mode?

Classic is 9.2 (compatible w/ 9.1 apps) running inside OSX and will
accomodate lots of software but even so,
IT is EASY to keep your OS9 bootable.
I am running OSX10.4.3 and can still boot to OS9.2.2 if I need to.

> **How does one got "get" from OSX to Classic  mode or
> do you have to re-boot the computer or can you toggle
> from one OS to the other?

Again, classic is different from booting to 9. You can have the
ability to do either.
  Classic turns on and off as a preference.

> **Will all my periperals still work in OSX and  will I
> be able to use my Samsung ML-1210 printer with OSX?

Even if they don't you could still restart to 9 and they would.
Meanwhile you get all the OSX goodies.

> **Should I consider buying a new dual boot computer
> with a faster processor or is my 400 mhz. enough?

New computers aren't dual boot and won't run 9 at all (just classic
which may not be enough support for you).
If you simply UPGRADE your OS you will keep the 9-10 dual boot
capability while gaining modern goodies.

> **What I'm trying to get a sense of is that suppose
> I'm using a new OSX capable Broswer and want to cut
> and paste some text from the browser into one of my
> Classic (OS 9.1 apps) documents. Can I do that without
> any problem  like my using a very old Microsoft Works
> 3.0  app. which is about15 years old but runs fine on
> 9.1?

I don't even know if your mezzozoic erasoftware will actually work in
classic, so it's hard to judge.

> **"All things being equal", will running things (like
> web browsing) in OSX be faster or will the Classic
> environment be slower?

I still use 9 for some archaic hardware thingys. All things being
equal X is ALWAYS better.

> Any comments will be greatly appreciated.  I'm just
> scared of screwing things up by changing operating
> systems and causing myself lots of extra work and
> expense in buying new software.

It is an update not a change.
Your software is very old. You should consider updating.