[G4] Re: G4 Digest, Vol 16, Issue 2-Still using OS 9.1 on my G4-400 mhz.

Roger Harris roger at rogerdharris.com
Wed Dec 7 10:58:32 PST 2005

Sy, This path doesn't have a caveat: Put another drive in the G4 and
put OSX on it since the G4 is a good dual boot mac. You can boot back
and forth and or make your present drive a Classic. You will only
need a new drive (that might be used with a newer Mac later) and at
least 500 (I would go to 1 gig memory) mb of memory. A G4 400MHz runs
OSX pretty well; Depending on expectations. It will not be snappy
like OS 9 but the multi-tasking is fantastic and the applications are
all better. The browsers alone are worth the cost of moving to OSX.

This setup is easier and cheaper than two macs. You can upgrade
applications to OSX as you can and without stress. makes it easy to
test apps that may need to replace apps where there isn't an OSX
upgrade. After a while on OSX you will be wanting to go to OSX
completely; You can then buy a new mac and leave OS 9 behind. Even my
most anxious and cautious customers never spend more than a year
running Classic. When you get a new mac use the old mac for a server
to do backups.

roger