[G4] Re: New USB Device Needed

John McClernan jmcclernan at cranburyschool.org
Fri Dec 9 14:51:45 PST 2005

> From: "Samuel D. Bays" <bays.samuel at verizon.net>
>
> Wouldn't it be great if one of the electronics device manufacturers like
> Belkin could invent a USB device that would enable both a Mac and a PC to
> share a USB printer without having to switch the wires from computer to
> computer.

It's called a print server and Belkin, et. al., does make 'em.

If you have a wireless network set up in your place, you can use an Airport
Express. I do. My Epson CX5400 all-in-one is connected that way. Of course,
you would have to have a PC driver for the printer you wanted to use. If
what you have works wired your PC, it will work under Rendezvous if you are
using OSX when you connect it to a print server.

There are cheaper solutions than Airport Express, but it has other features,
such as AirTunes, that the others do not.

Subscribe to the newsletter from dealmac.com so that you can find out when
one goes on sale.