[G4] Connect one monitor and two macs??

Jason McClary cerebus at mac.com
Sat Dec 10 19:34:20 PST 2005

KVM stands for Keyboard, Video and Mouse switch. So a USB KVM is one
that uses USB connectors for the Keyboard and mouse as opposed to PS/
2 KVM. A USB Switch would be what you are thinking about.

He said USB so that Jim would not accidentally get a KVM that uses PS/
2 connections for the Keyboard and mouse. For the longest time
finding a KVM that used USB over PS/2 was a pain.

I have an iogear 4 port USB KVM. I use it to switch between 2 macs
and 2 PCs. Works ok only problem I've found is that for some reason
the computers can not sense what type of mouse I have plugged in to
the USB mouse port. The KVM also had a 3rd USB port in the back for
peripherals which does let the computer detect the mouse type.
Unfortunately when I switch computers the computer sees the mouse as
being disconnected. Kinda defeating one of the purposes of the KVM
(making the comps think the mouse and keyboard are still connected).
Other then that I've had no other complaints with it. The link below
is to a newer version of the one I have so maybe that problem is fixed.

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS1714